Japan Gaza Innovation Challenge
Gaza Entrepreneur Challenge 2016 (GEC)
- Application period:
Mon, June 27 ~ Sun, July 31, 2016
- Overview of GEC
|1) Targeted area||Gaza Strip, Palestine|
|2) Targeted applicants||· Any youths who seek to start a business in Gaza
*Majority of the team members needs to be female.
|3) Project period||· Gaza Entrepreneur Challenge: August 10 and 11, 2016 (from 8:30 ~ 18:00, subject to change)
· Support for the selected teams: August ~ December, 2016
|4) Objectives||· Bring hope to Gaza by incubating startups
· Create platform of donation and investment in order to improve people’s life in Gaza
1. Incubate/support a startup as a pilot project
2. Understand how/what we can support
Mid to Long term:
1. Create a scheme to incubate/support startups for “Life Improvement” of Gazan people
2. Assist to establish around five startups in a year
Phase 1: Gaza Entrepreneur Challenge 2016
Date: August 10 and 11, 2016
Venue: UNRWA’s Khan Younis Training College (KYTC) in Gaza
|<Day 1> August 10 (Wed)|
|08:30||Doors open, Networking Breakfast|
|09:30||Initroduction of The GEC|
|10:00||Panel discussion ~tips to start and scale up business~|
|14:30||Evaluation Criteria and Advice to improve the submitted proposals|
|16:00||Key Note Speech|
|17:30||Announcement for Day 2|
|<Day 2> August 11 (Thu)|
|08:00||Doors open, Networking Breakfast|
|9:00||1st Round of the Business Contest|
|11:00||Annoucement of Results and Evaluation|
|11:30||Long Lunch Break (Networking and preparations for the final round)|
|13:30||Final Round of the Business Contest|
|16:30||Announcement of the Winner and Advice for All Teams|
Award for the Winner:
- US$10,000 (Could be split into several teams. Could be provided by several times, depending on cash flow forecast of the winners.)
- Management support from JGIC Japan; Business Network with Japanese business owners and investors, consulting service, etc.
- Invitation to Japan tour, depending on the political situation. (A networking fair with Japanese investors, and business owners/entrepreneurs, a business training camp for better management, site visits, etc.)
Phase 2: Preparing and Starting a Business
Period: August ~ December, 2016
- Customize the Japan tour based on requests
- Introduce investors
- Support to formalize business ideas and establish companies
Targeted Applicants: Youth Generation (Teens to 30s/but not limited to).
<Step 1: Document Selection by GEC>
- Applicants need to submit business ideas to Japan Gaza Entrepreneur Challenge by 31 July, 2016.
- The ideas could be any format (Power Point/Keynote Presentation, Word, Pictures, etc.) but should be written in English
Example of contents:
- Mission, Vision & Values
- Business Description
- Management Team
- Product and/or Service
- Economic Return
- Market Analysis
- Cash Flow Forecast
- One team might be consisting of around 5 people. Majority of the members needs to be women given unemployment ratio of women is higher than men in Gaza.
- Each team is required to have at least one person who is able to speak business English for smooth communication with investors, Japanese entrepreneurs, and the project office.
- Regarding evaluation criteria, the ideas which can contribute to public, social issues, “Life Improvement of Gazan People”, such as heath care, nutrition, sanitation, water management, agriculture, manufacturing, etc. are preferable.
- GEC will announce the teams which passed the step 1 through its website and emails.
<Step 2: Presentation at the GEC 2016>
- Selected teams need to join the GEC 2016 which will be held on August 10 and 11 (Maximum 10 teams are selected and announced by August5 ).
- The most evaluated idea will be awarded.
- The ideas will be evaluated/judged by Mr. A Seita, Director of UNRWA Health Department, Mr. S. Yonekura, Professor of Hitotsubashi Univ., etc.
Please apply from here
Please see here for Sample Application
* Applicants are allowed to add any information, descriptions, data, charts, graphs etc. as needed.
* For any questions, please email us